Tuesday, December 9, 2008

As the line goes in the theme from Enterprise, "It's been a long road, getting from there to here." At last I have arrived. Believing in "the hope of the heart" pays off. My "Payday, Someday" has arrived (thank you, R.G. Lee). The interest continues to compound and confound. Cheryl came to visit this past weekend. The broken circle is complete again, and in to the future it will roll. Power chairs are good for that too, especially in my case. My vehicular utilization curve is limited right now but I'm making the most of what I have--be it a motorized wheelchair on the physical level, or virtual aircraft via Flight Simulator on the imaginary plane. Flights of fancy can yield tangible rewards. I recently purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Ten), or FSX. It had been a while since I'd gone "simming," and what skills I had were rusty, to say the least, but I had missed the challenge. As soon as I learned, via an online test, that my laptop could run the program I took the plunge. After a few days of experimenting I discovered, quite by accident, that there is a flight simulator in Google Earth. It is rather simplistic, compared to the Microsoft product, but it is interesting. It can be found in Earth View, under "Tools." Caution: Can Be Habbit Forming. Diversions can be good. As Spock once said, "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for simple play." I allowed myself to go too long without. No more. As John Fogarty said, "I'm ready to play." It will take some time for me to get back up to speed, but my reluctance to resume activity has been overcome. I'm back, with a vengence! Stay tuned...

No comments: